- While you are not required to pay tuition fees at your host institution as an exchange student, you will be responsible for all other expenses.
- To cover a part of these, depending on the kind of exchange program, you might receive an Erasmus+ grant (for EU-countries) or an IRO travel support (for outside EU-countries). Please note that if you do not meet the conditions under which these scholarships are granted, you will have to return the money.
- The Erasmus+ program is an EU-funded education program, designed to encourage students to expand their university education by spending a period of study in another EU member state.
- The program applies to all member countries of the EU excluding Switzerland. To achieve this, funds are provided ONLY for formally organized student exchange programs involving specific universities with which SU has signed a Bilateral Agreement.
- Students participating in Erasmus exchange programs may receive an Erasmus+ grant according to their Erasmus points.
-Being placed or nominated at a university under the Erasmus program does not guarantee that you will receive a grant. The number of grantees is determined by the National Agency in accordance with the grant allocated to our university.
- Grant distribution starts from the main call and in case on any cancellation from the participant, next student on the list will be granted.
- Grants are paid to students in two instalments. 70% of the grant is paid before mobility and the remaining 30% is paid after return. The mobility duration stated in Certificate of Attendance is taken into account for the total payment.
- Grant payments cannot be made to any bank other than AKBANK.
- As of 2019-2020, after the completion of the exchange semester, it is not possible to receive grant even though you are in the waiting list.
- Students also are able to participate in Erasmus+ Study program without receiving a grant. Please also note that, these students should complete the same process and also submit the required documents if needed.
- There may be deductions in case; you don't submit the required documents or fill out the online report and online linguistic test.
- The online education period that is spent out of the partner university country, will not be granted.
To see monthly Erasmus grant for each country please click here.
Erasmus Disability Grant
Additional grants are available for students with disabilities and health conditions wishing to participate in an Erasmus+ placement and where participation would not be possible without extra financial support. For your questions; please e-mail to email@example.com.
Additional Grant Opportunity for Students with Financial Needs
- This part is only valid for students who hold Turkish citizenship.
- Economically disadvantaged students who are selected for the Study Mobility will be paid an extra grant of 100 € per month from the study mobility budget, in addition to the amount of monthly grant specified in the grant table.
- Students whose parents or themselves are receiving an allowance within the scope of the Article 2 of the Law on Encouragement of Social Assistance and Solidarity No. 3294 dated 29.05.1989 (29.05.1989 tarih ve 3294 sayılı Sosyal Yardımlaşma ve Dayanışmayı Teşvik Kanunu) can benefit from the opportunity of additional grant for economically disadvantaged people.
- In order to benefit from the additional grant, student should submit the required document indicating that he/she receives an allowance within the scope of the above-mentioned Law from the Provincial Directorate of Family, Labor, and Social Services (Aile, Çalışma ve Sosyal Hizmetler İl Müdürlüğü).
IRO travel support
- SU also has exchange agreements with universities in countries outside the European Union (e.g. various universities in USA, Hong Kong , Singapore,etc).Students who are going to one of these host institutions may receive IRO travel support.
- In order to extend the geography of student exchange IRO supports students who are going to Global Exchange partners by paying their flight tickets up to a certain amount.
- Every year we support students according to their total scores with a travel support.
- Students placed to priority countries will be on priority. The details are announced in the related call for application.
- Grant is allocated according to total scores of the students. (from highest to lowest)
- Please note that you do not have to apply for these grants separately from your application procedure.
Costs of travel and living
Obviously, the costs of your semester abroad will depend on the country you go to and length of your stay. Available grants will only cover a (small) part of your expenses so you should expect to spend additional personal savings and/or to receive parental support.
Scholarship status at SU
Scholarships of undergraduate students continue while abroad. Graduate students stipends do not continue as they are required to work as assistants at SU.