Visa Requirements for the Students Under 18:


Students under the age of 18 are required to obtain a student consular visa regardless of whether their country has visa exemption.

If you come to Turkey without a student consular visa, you will be asked for the following documents when applying for a student residence permit. Unfortunately, we do notrecommend entering Turkey without a student consular visa if you are under 18 because it requires a bureaucratic process in Turkey which may take months.

In order to see the contents in such official documents, please check How to Obtain Official Documents page.

  • Doğum Belgesi – Apostilled birth certificate (with notary approved translation in Turkey)
  • Aile İzni İçin Muvafakatname – Apostilled parental consent signed by both parents in Turkish or with notary approved translation in Turkey
  • İstanbul’daki 3. Kişiye Verilen Muvafakatname – Apostilled permission letter to a third party living in İstanbul about that they will assist the student with legal processes until the student becomes 18 years old (with notary stamp in İstanbul).  (If this person is be a family member, they must have a Turkish residence permit and prove their place of residence in Istanbul with official documents.)
  •  3. Kişiden Taahhütname – Apostilled letter of commitment from this third party stating that they will take care of the legal matters of the student under 18. (If this person is be a family member, they must have a Turkish residence permit and prove their place of residence in Istanbul with official documents.)

Visa Requirements for the Students Above 18:

Do I need a visa or not 🤔💭✈️❓

CLICK BELOW to see if you need a visa:

Entry with consular visa or e-visa: For some countries, you may need to enter Turkey with a consular visa or e-visa if it is required for your country. In such a case, you can enter Turkey with the convenient visa type among the consular visas and e-visas.

Your visa type does not affect your university enrollment or residence permit applications. It means you can enter Turkey with student visa or touristic visa.

Entry with visa exemption: For some countries where there are visa exemptions, students can directly enter Turkey without a visa before the university registration. If your country is one of those that does not require a visa, and allows you to stay visa-free for a period of time after entering Turkey, this means you have visa exemption. In this case, you are not obliged to obtain any visa to be able to register at the university or to get a student residence permit.

Important Note: If you entered Turkey with a visa exemption before university registration, make sure that you do not exceed your visa exemption period. If you have exceeded your visa exemption period, you may be asked to enter or exit the country before or after your university enrollment by the Immigration Office. Therefore, it is important how many days you stayed in Turkey before university registration.

For more information about passport and visa rules, please visit the official website of Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs below and find your country and its entry obligation in the list.

Passport Duration: Please have a passport that is valid at least 60 days longer than the duration of your study period at Sabancı University. Make sure to enter Turkey with a passport and that your passport has an entry stamp on it.

Please ensure that you enter Turkey with a valid passport. For some countries, entering Turkey is possible with your national ID card but if you do this, you must exit and enter again with your passport during your education period since you will be using your passport entry records for the student residence permit.

Please ensure that you have a legal stay in Turkey when enrolling at the university. The valid situations for this are as follows:

·         Stay under consular or e-visa visa period (student visa or touristic visa is applicable)

·         Stay under visa exemption period according to your passport country

·         Stay under current residence permit (some students may obtain any kind of residence permit before they register at the university)

·         Turkish citizenship

Every year the week before the start of classes is the international student orientation week, for graduates, undergraduates and exchange students. The orientation schedule will be shared with all admitted students after the university admission period is complete.

You will be asked for a Turkish phone number (sim card) when obtaining a tax number, filling out the residence permit registration form, opening a deposit bank account and getting an UETS code. As a result of these applications and forms, immigration offices and banks may prefer SMS channel to contact you. For this reason, we highly recommend that you have a Turkish phone number.

Turkcell, Vodafone and Türk Telekom are the most frequently used and reliable telephone service providers in our country. You can purchase sim cards from these telecommunication companies. Since the branches at the airport can be expensive, we recommend that you purchase a sim card from the city center when you have time.

You will be asked for your passport number during the purchase process. We recommend that you have your passport with you when you plan to purchase one.

Your phone number will be matched with your passport number and will be active for 3 months for tourism purposes. Therefore, it will only serve for 3 months. Within 3 months, you must go to the same service provider with your residence permit card and match it your number with your residence permit card number. Otherwise, your phone number will be blocked after 3 months.

Important Notes 📞:

  • Using someone else's phone number may prevent you from obtaining information during legal processes and may cause problems!
  • Students under the age of 18 are not authorized to obtain a phone number. Consult the IRO on this matter.
  • The country code of numbers in Turkey starts with +90.

The tax ID number is necessary for important payments and processes, such as opening a bank account. Until you receive your student residence permit card, the tax ID number is the ID number you will be using for your official payments. Once you receive your residence permit card, you will have your foreign ID number that you can use your foreign ID number for all legal issues. Thus, you may need to obtain a tax number upon your arrival before you obtain your student residence permit.

There are two ways to obtain a tax number:


  • Click 
  • The page has English Explanations. Fill the form according to your passport information (leave Yabancı Kimlik Numaranız / Identity Number section empty)
  • The gg.aa.yy section means (day/month/year)
  • Click Başvur (Apply) button
  • Download the PDF file

Important Notes:

  • Your Tax Identification Number must match the information recorded when entering Turkey at the Airport. Therefore, if you encounter an error, you may need to try several times with the information in your passport.
  • There are two letters in the Turkish alphabet, one with a dot and one without. These are I and İ. If your name contains the letter I and is written with İ at the airport, it is normal that you will encounter an error on this page. So, we recommend trying with a Turkish keyboard.
  • If the website does not accept your passport information in any way, to query your passport login information, please email us the photo containing the screenshot of the error.



You need to visit the nearest Tax office with your original passport and its copy. Enter the building and go to the “YABANCILAR İÇİN VERGİ NUMARASI” or “SİCİL İŞLEMLERİ” desk. The personnel might not be able to speak English. Therefore, you can bring this message to anyone, and they will help you:

“Merhaba! Ben Sabancı Üniversitesinden geliyorum. Yabancı uyrukluyum. Vergi numarası almaya geldim. Yardımınız için teşekkürler.”

(Hello! I study at Sabancı University and I am a foreigner. I came here to obtain a tax ID number. Thank you for your help in advance.)

See below the two Tax Office options in the Anatolian side:

Yakacık Tax Office: Hürriyet Mahallesi Yakacık D-100 Kuzey Yanyol Caddesi No: 47/A-B Kartal ISTANBUL

Kadıköy Tax Office: Osmanağa, Halitağa Caddesi No:19, Kadıköy ISTANBUL

After your arrival to Sabancı University, you may need to make some official payments or transfer money from your home country to Turkey. For example, there may be reasons such as dormitory payments and your Erasmus grant being deposited in your account. In this case, you may need to open a deposit bank account.

In most cases, our university students open a deposit bank account with Akbank, an official bank in Turkey, and make money transfers or official payments via this bank. However, do not worry, there is an Akbank branch on our campus and you can go there and open a deposit bank account.

The Campus branch of Akbank is located on the first floor of the University Center. ATMs are located on the first floor of University Center and D-2 Building. Bank hours: 8:30-12:30 and 13:00-16:45 during the week from Monday till Friday.

Some documents may be requested from you in order to open a deposit bank account. These can be the following documents and please do not forget that you may be asked additional documents:


·Tax ID number

·Student certificate and/or student ID card

·Address document: A dormitory certificate which can be obtained from the dorm office at the top of the health center should be submitted. If you don’t stay at the dorms, you can submit a rental agreement or an invoice proving your stay at a place with your name and address on it.

Important Notes:

  • If you are an Erasmus and exchange program student, you can close this account before you leave Turkey.
  • Please do not forget that there can be deductions/commission cuts during the transaction of money between your home bank account and the Turkish bank account.

As per immigration laws in Turkey, it is MANDATORY that all students have valid insurance that covers the total duration of their enrollment at Sabancı University. The insurance should take effect from the day the student enters Turkey and cover the complete duration of stay. Health insurance is not only for your own safety, but it is a legal obligation for your stay in Turkey. The health insurance mentioned here must be different from the travel health insurances or that you may have it from your own country. Because in order to obtain a residence permit in Turkey, your insurance has to meet the insurance conditions announced by the immigration office. In addition, the relevant document must be prepared in Turkish in Turkey.

General Health System in Turkey:

🏥 Hospitals:

First of all, there are two types of hospitals in Turkey: the first one is private hospitals and the other is state hospitals. Private hospitals provide high level, detailed and personal service according to your needs. Processes are faster but payments are more expensive.

The state hospitals are more preferred because they are cheaper but it can take a long time to get an appointment and you can wait in long lines. You can find good doctors like in private hospitals, but there is not detailed service.

️ Accepted Health Insurance Options:


There are two types of health insurance: the first is private health insurance. The second is General Health Insurance - GHI/GSS/SGK (it has several abbreviations), which is a state-funded insurance.

Private health insurances can be used in the private hospitals only and are limited. Their limit decreases in each process that you have at the hospital. It may not cover all costs depending its type. It can be used for processes that meet its benefit table and limits. It may not be used in every hospital because the company to which the private health insurance is affiliated must have an agreement with the relevant hospital. The prices of hospitals you go to (especially Acıbadem, Emsey Hospitals etc.) can be high and they can decrease your insurance limits quickly.

On the other hand, general health insurance is used in state hospitals and the numbers you pay here are very cheap. In addition, general health insurance may or may not be valid in some private hospitals, or its validity can be very low and you may be asked to pay some additional payments there. General Health Insurance allows you to benefit from public hospitals mainly. As Sabancı University full-time international students, you have the right to benefit both of the insurances. The first of these is Aksigorta, which is automatically given by the university after your registration and it is a private health insurance. As university, we provide this private health insurance free for you, but it has limits.

The second is General Health Insurance/GHI/GSS (SGK in Turkish), which is a state-funded health insurance system and provided by the Turkish government as we mentioned above. You have to apply for it after you obtain your residence permit card number.

You will find the details about it below.


• It is a private health insurance provided by Sabancı University for all full-time students.

• You do not need to make any payment in order to have it. It is free for Sabancı University full-time students.

• Exchange program students cannot benefit from Aksigorta. They need to get private health insurance or if there is a health insurance agreement between their country and Turkey, they can use it by activating.

• It is renewed annually every September or February, depending on your university registration period, due to your continuation of your studies.

• It has basic coverage and you can request the benefit table for 2023-2024.

• It has limits. So, the limit will decrease due to your processes at the hospital.

• It can be used for residence permit purposes.

After your university enrollment, your Aksigorta insurance is automatically created. Thus, you do not need to take any action on it.

You can ask for your insurance and get help from IRO and Health Center.

Related emails: and 

2. Governmental Health Insurance (General Health Insurance/GHI/GSS) or SGK in Turkish

• It is state-funded health insurance.

• It is available for international students who obtain a residence permit card and who are registered to a university in Turkey.

• In order to have GHI, you need to apply to the Social Security City Directorate or to the Social Security Center (SGM) of the district in which the student resides within 3 months following your university registration (first registration to the university) and after receiving your foreign national ID number. (If you do not apply within this period, you will not have the chance to apply to GHI again) For the 2023 year, the annual GHI premium is around 4800 TL (approximately 200 Dollars annually in 2024).

• Students who do not apply for the GHI within the 3-month legal period for the application cannot benefit from this right later. Thus, students are strongly advised to have this procedure.

• Exchange program students cannot benefit from GHI. They need to get private health insurance or if there is a health insurance agreement between their country and Turkey, they can use it by activating it.

• The list of the Social Security Centers (SGMs) in Istanbul is available here.,28.9700699,12z?entry=ttu

How to apply for it:

• Inform the Student Resources about your foreign ID number (residence permit card number) so that they can update your information on the YÖK system.

• Visit the nearest PTT Office and get an e-devlet password (You have to be there physically.)

• Visit and log in with your foreign ID number and edevlet password

• Search for "Yabancı Uyruklu Öğrencilerin GSS Başvurusu ve Takibi" and then click "başvuru yap" (apply) link

• After your application, wait for 2-3 days and visit the same page to check your application status and make sure that it is approved

• Visit login with your e-devlet password, select "Diğer Tahsilatlar"-"GSS Prim" and enter your foreign ID number that starts with 99-98 and then make the payment online

• After 30 days following your payment, visit and get a proof document (müstehaklık). The document should state "Müstehaktır, provizyon alabilir."

• You can visit the İstanbul Immigration Office and submit this document along with a petition stating you applied for General Health Insurance with your residence permit. You do not need to take an appointment to submit it. Students who do not apply for the GSS within the 3-month legal period for the application cannot benefit from this right afterward. Therefore, students are strongly advised not to ignore this procedure. If you change your program or your program level (e.g. from undergraduate to master’s) you have the right to apply again.

Please note that all students have to have a valid health insurance during their stay in Turkey. You can use the ones stated above. If you have a private health insurance on your own apart from Aksigorta, if your health insurance expires, you have to renew your health insurance in order to use for your residence permit card applications. Also, you have to be careful about its validity for the residency purposes.

*Since the mentioned processes are managed and regulated by state bodies such as the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the practices are open to change.



Students from below mentioned European countries can benefit from the Bilateral Social Security Agreements as alternative insurance coverage In Turkey.

If your country and Turkey has a social security agreement, you need to bring the “Right to Health Assistance Certificate” with you. You can request and collect it from your local Social Security Office.

(Also, we cannot guarantee that this insurance is acceptable all the time. So, the immigration office can ask you to purchase insurance in Turkey.)

To be covered by Turkish Public Health Insurance, you must activate your certificate in Istanbul.

After activating your insurance, do not forget to obtain a Provision (provizyon) document from the same social insurance institution and bring it to us. Otherwise, bilateral agreements are not valid for residence permit applications.

You need to go to the closest one of the authorized social security centers in Istanbul, the addresses of which are given below.

Tuzla SGK – Tuzla Social Security Office

Kadıköy SGK – Kadıköy Social Security Office

The below-given countries have a Bilateral Social Security Agreement with Turkey. If you are from one of those countries, you can benefit from Turkish Public Health Care after activating your certificate. Note: the list is subject to change.

erasmus insurance

Warning: Even if you get approval for this kind of health insurance, your health insurance in Turkey is valid up to 6 months in Turkey.

Note: You can benefit from public health services (public hospitals, clinics etc.) with the social security number given to you by the social security institution.

Please make sure that you contact your home university’s Exchange Office and confirm if there is an active bilateral social security agreement between your country and Turkey.



You can obtain private health insurance upon your arrival in Turkey. After arriving in Turkey, please visit any Turkish health insurance agency with your passport and obtain a "Health insurance for foreigners" (in Turkish "YABANCILAR İÇİN SAĞLIK SİGORTASI") policy issued for at least 1 year. The document must be issued in Turkish by an insurance company in Turkey.

The IRO (International Relations Office) can suggest you companies, or you can find a well-known company to get a health insurance, such as Turk Nippon, Allianz, Sompo, Aksigorta etc. Just make sure that it is an appropriate health insurance for the residence permit as requested. We do not provide a direct assistance or have any responsibility with health insurance. Therefore, it is your responsibility. You must contact the agencies, follow through with all transactions, and make sure you understand your policy coverage very well.

A comprehensive health insurance must cover the below-given points and these points must be clearly articulated in the health insurance plan/agreement:

Insurance Coverage Table

*Non- Contracted Institutions: Institutions (hospitals, physicians’ offices, and the other health institutions.) do not have an agreement with the insurer. (The minimum coverage cost may differ)

The insurance document must include the below statement: (please make sure your health insurance company adds this note to your health insurance document):

“İşbu police 10.06.2021 tarihli ve 8/2021 sayılı vize ve ikamet izni taleplerinde yaptırılacak özel sağlık sigortalarına ilişkin genelgede belirlenen asgari teminat yapısını kapsamaktadır.”

(The sentence above is stating that the insurance fulfills the coverage required for the residence permit.)

IMPORTANT NOTE:Regardless of its type, make sure that your insurance can be used for residence permit purposes.

Apostille (Apostil in Turkish)

Apostille is a certification system used to ensure the validity of international documents. It was established under the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, and is valid among the countries that are parties to this system. The apostille process certifies that a document is original and has all the necessary official approvals. It verifies that the document is original and that the person who signed it is authorized by a competent authority. It may be required for official documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, diplomas, and transcripts that will be used abroad. The apostille is issued by the competent authorities of the country where the document was created, making the document valid in other countries as well.

In Turkey, the institutions where you can obtain an apostille are the district governorates. The nearest district governorate to our university is the Tuzla District Governorate (Tuzla Kaymakamlığı). If you go there and state that you want to obtain an apostille certification, you can get an apostille for your document. If you need to obtain an apostille from your own country, you should contact the competent authorities that issue apostilles in your country.

Apostille convention countries:

Notary Approval (Noter Onayı in Turkish)

A notary is an individual authorized by the state to authenticate legal transactions, verify official correspondences and documents, and provide legal assurance. Notaries document many legal and official transactions, protecting the rights of the parties involved and helping to prevent disputes. The duties of notaries include:

Document Authentication: Verify the accuracy of signatures, seals, and dates.

Certification Processes: Certify official documents and signatures.

Contract Preparation and Approval: Prepare and approve contracts between parties.

Sworn Declarations and Translations: Authenticate sworn declarations and translations.

Property Transactions: Certify signatures in real estate transactions.

The work of notaries increases the reliability of legal transactions and ensures the official validity of documents. In this way, notaries safeguard the legal processes of both individuals and institutions.

In Turkey, many documents and agreements you will use for your legal processes are required to be notarized. If these documents are in a language other than Turkish, they must be translated and stamped by a sworn translator with a notary's approval, in addition to being notarized. These documents can include birth certificates, high school/university diplomas and transcripts, health reports, passports, family consent documents, and commitment documents from your own country, as well as notarized rental agreements and commitment documents that you need to prepare in Turkey.

We recommend Üsküdar 29th Notary (Üsküdar 29. Noterliği) due to their quick turnaround time and ability to notarize documents in multiple languages. Alternatively, we suggest looking at the list of notaries in Istanbul if you wish to use different notaries close to your location.

Parental Consent (Aile İzni or Aileden Alınan Muvafakatname in Turkish)

If you are under 18, one of the documents you need to provide during university registration is parental consent. This document is required separately from both parents with their personal signatures (if one of the parents is deceased, it should be indicated in the relevant document) and must be notarized.

If the document is prepared abroad, it must be apostilled in your home country. Additionally, it must have a notarized translation from a notary in Turkey with its notary approvals.

If the document is to be prepared in Turkey, it can be directly prepared in Turkish at a notary and notarized; however, please note that it will still need to be signed by both parents.

The required contents of this document are below:

English: I hereby give permission for my child to register andstudy at Sabancı University, fulfill their educational obligations, reside, and obtain a residence permit in Turkey. I undertake to financially support my child throughout the duration of their education.

Turkish: Çocuğumun Sabancı Üniversitesi'ne kayıt yaptırmasına, Sabancı Üniversitesi’nde eğitim görmesine ve eğitim yükümlülüklerini yerine getirerek eğitimini tamamlamasına, Türkiye'de yaşamasına, ikamet etmesine ve ikamet izni almasına izin veriyorum. Çocuğumu eğitim süresi boyunca finansal olarak destekleyeceğimi taahhüt ederim.

Notarized Rental Agreement (Noter Onaylı Kira Sözleşmesi)

If you live off-campus and need to sign a rental agreement, this document must be a notarized rental agreement. Your rental agreement may be required as proof of address, so it needs to be properly prepared. You should inform your landlord about this requirement and ensure that you must get a notarized rental agreement. You will use this document later during the address registration process after you receive your residence permit card.

It is really important that the notarized rental agreement includes the ID copies of both you and your landlord and that your notarized agreement should contain the information below, otherwise it will not be sufficient to register your address.

Your address, full name, signature and foreigner ID number or passport number must be written on the rental agreement prepared at the notary.

The notarized rental agreement must be written in Turkish.

The following statement must be written on the rental contract prepared by the notary: “…noterlikte huzurumda alındığını onaylarım” (I approve that it was received in my presence at the notary office)

Both the landlord’s and your ID cards are copied and attached to it (If you do not have a residence permit yet, you can use your passport)

You can get help from any notary you wish for this process.  

Some students prefer to live with friends or acquaintances instead of renting. For this, a letter of commitment is required. You can find more information about this below.

Letter of Commitment (Taahhütname in Turkish)

A notarized letter of commitment (Taahhütname) is a document in which an individual officially declares that they will fulfill a certain obligation or commitment, and it is approved by a notary. This document indicates that the stated commitment is legally valid and can be presented to official authorities if necessary. A notarized letter of commitment certifies the authenticity of the signatory's signature and the legal compliance of the document's content.

For example, if a student wants to live with friends or acquaintances, the landlord or the person they will be living with can prepare a notarized letter of commitment. This letter states that the student will reside at a specific address and adhere to certain conditions. The notary verifies the accuracy of the signatures and the content of the document, making it official. This document allows the party making the commitment to officially declare their obligations and provides legal assurance. It may be easier to prepare and use this document (Taahhütname) in cases where you cannot make a rental agreement.

You should visit a notary public with the person who is the tenant or owner of the flat to have a “taahhütname” issued. This official document states that you are residing with the person responsible for the flat, and they accept responsibility for your stay.

The responsible person (guarantor) should bring their notary-made rental contract or certificate of ownership (tapu) to the notary. The taahhütname must contain a copy of their ID card. If the guarantor is married, their spouse must also be included in the taahhütname along with their ID.

For a taahhütname to be accepted in official transactions (residence permit application, address registration), the guarantor must provide a list of documents.

If the Guarantor is Turkish, they must provide:

1. Address Registration Certificate from e-Devlet – Yerleşim Yeri Belgesi

2. A Bill in the Person’s Name (Electricity, Water, or Gas) – Kişinin Adına Düzenlenmiş Bir Hizmet Faturası (Elektrik, Su veya Doğalgaz)

3. An Identity Certificate with Residence Information from e-Devlet – Vukuatlı Nüfus Kayıt Örneği

If the Guarantor is International, they must provide:

1. A Valid Residence or Work Permit Card Photocopy – Aktif İkamet İzin Kartı Fotojopisi

2. Address Registration Certificate from e-Devlet – Yerleşim Yeri Belgesi

3. A Bill in the Person’s Name (Electricity, Water, or Gas) – Kişinin Adına Düzenlenmiş Bir Hizmet Faturası (Elektrik, Su veya Doğalgaz)

Please note that copies of the requested additional documents will be used in residence permit applications too.

Student Certificate and Transcript

A student certificate is an official document prepared by the Student Resources unit after you have registered at the university. It includes your Higher Education Council (YÖK) number or, if applicable, your Residence Permit ID number or Turkish Citizenship number, and it shows your student information and education level. This document can be used for student residence permit applications, military declarations for students with compulsory military service, opening a bank account, and obtaining a student card for public transportation.

A transcript is an official document that shows the courses a student has taken, their grades, and their overall academic performance during their university education.

There are two ways to obtain them:

If you do not have a Residence Permit ID number:

If you will use the document in Turkey, you can request it in Turkish from the Student Resources. If you will use it abroad, you can request it in English from the Student Resources. The duration to obtain via this way may take between 2-3 work days.

If you have a Residence Permit ID number:

You can request these documents from e-devlet system. After logging into the system with your e-Government password, you can view and download your current student certificate and transcript from the link below. (You can find detailed information about accessing the e-Government system in the following pages.) The duration to obtain via this way may take 5 minutes if your documents are uploaded to the system by Student Resources.

Student certificate e-devlet link:

Transcript e-devlet link:

Dormitory Certificate

This document is provided by the dormitory management of our university and serves as proof of your residence in the dormitory. For it to be usable in Turkey, the document must contain a QR code and be in Turkish. You can request this document from the dormitories through our university's suticket system.

Important Notes About Documents:

• If the documents will be used in Turkey, they must be in Turkish. Please ensure the language of your documents.

• Make sure that the documents are the most up-to-date versions.

Students who are enrolled in an academic program in Turkey for 3 months or longer are obliged to acquire a student residence permit as per the Law on Foreigners and International Protection. The Student Residence Permit gives you the right to stay in Turkey during your study period. All international students, regardless of their status, are required to apply for the student residence permit within their legal stay period in Turkey.

You must apply for a student residence permit before the expiry of your visa, visa exemption period, or residence permit card and your passport must be valid at least 60 days beyond the requested ending date of residence permit.

To do this, you must enter Turkey with your passport; you need to complete the necessary documents, submit fingerprints, make an online residence permit application and submit your documents to International Relations Office.


  • An application can be only made after entering Turkey. Residence permit applications made from abroad are invalid.
  • Student’s passports must be valid at least 60 days beyond the requested ending date of residence permit. Make sure your passport is valid for 6 months minimum.
  • It is not recommended to leave Turkey before obtaining the residence permit card. Departing from Turkey before the residence permit evaluation may result in rejection.
  • Students are responsible for extending their residence permit according to their study period, if needed.
  • For renewal applications, you can start to apply 60 days prior to expiry at the earliest.
  • Please make sure all required documents are complete before submitting your online application. Files with missing documents are not accepted by the Immigration Office.
  • The Immigration Office reserves the right to request additional documents and to reject applications. Our university only guides you on how to apply and submits your files to the Immigration Office on your behalf. The initiation, evaluation, and approval of the process are entirely the responsibility of the Directorate General of Migration Management. This matter is not within the authority of our university.


We would like to remind you that universities and public institutions will be closed from on June 15th, 2024. 


Applications with missing documents are not accepted by the IRO. Please ensure that all your documents are complete.


1.Declaration control document, filled and signed by you CLICK HERE

2.Print of your online application form containing your fingerprint number

3.Passport ID page copy

4.Passport Last Entry Stamp Page to Turkey copy

5.If exists, Visa Page or e-Visa copy

6.4 Biometric pictures (minimum 4 x 6 cm in size)

7.Student Certificate

8.Health Insurance (Turkish version)

9.Address document copy (do not use the original rental agreement or taahhütname since you can not the original document back)

Address document may vary depending on where you stay.

  • Dorm certificate taken from the Dormitory Management (In Turkish, with QR code)
  • Rental agreement under your name (You can check How to Obtain Official Documents)
  • Letter of commitment (Taahhütname taken at a notary) for the students who do not have a rental agreement (You can check How to Obtain Official Documents)
  • Note: Airbnb platform is not accepted as an address document. Even if you stay at an Airbnb, you must make a rental agreement or taahhütname with the house owner.

10.The Receipt of Residence Permit Card Payment (You will make it after you apply online.)

Additionally, you must add these below if you apply for an extension:

1.Old residence permit card copy (front and back)

2.Yerleşim Yeri Belgesi (Address document with barcode) taken from e-devlet

3.UETS Copy

🚨 For IRO document verification: After collecting the documents, you need to scan them, convert them into PDF format, and send them to us via email either as a zip file or as they are. Once we check the documents and ensure there are no missing ones, you can request an office appointment with us. You need to use the link below to schedule an in-person appointment. You can also use the same link to request online meetings.

Calendly link:

Document verification is done only via email/online. Physical submission of documents to the office is accepted only in person at the office. You have to receive an email confirming that your documents have been checked via email. If you come to the office without notifying us, your documents will be returned back to you. Please pay attention to this.


It is necessary to upload your biometric photo in ICAO standards taken within the last six months to the form. Please have your biometric head-shot photograph in the JPEG version available on your computer.

Before applying online, check the online application guide in our website and follow the steps carefully. If you face any problems, you may contact for technical support.

Application website:

First time application:

🔗 Link:


Extension application guide:

🔗 Link:


The website we have specified is the only officially authorized website where you should submit your application. Please avoid similar-sounding websites you may come across on the internet. Many of them may be fraudulent.

Once your online application is complete, you should print it out, sign the signature line on the first page at the bottom, and add it into your file along with your other documents. You must prepare all required documents by yourself and please make sure that you do not have any missing documents.

If you encounter a problem during your online application, please send the screenshot of the problem/application step to the


You can make the payment online by the below instructions:


1. Visit 

2. Type the Tahakkuk no (Accrue no) into the “Başvuru Numarası” box and then the verification code as seen below in the “Güvenlik Kodu” box.

3. Accrue no is indicated in your residence permit online registration form (1st page).

4. Write your credit card details. If you use an international bank, you must select “Yabancı Ödemeler” section and choose “card” option.

5. Please make sure you allow cookies and popups for this webpage to be able to download the receipt.

7. Please download and print out the receipt once you are done with the payment.

8. Please note that you should pay only the card fee (565₺).

Physical payment:

You must first obtain a tax ID number and then pay it via either Tax Office, Ziraat Bank, Halk Bank, or Vakıf Bank with the 9207-reference code. If you already have a residence permit card before, you can use the old residence card number as a tax number. If you are below 18, you are not authorized to pay the card fee for yourself. Therefore, you may ask for a relative or a friend of yours to pay your card fee in your name with your tax ID number. Please note that the payment of the card fee must be in your name with your tax ID number.

See below the addresses of the Tax offices:

  • Yakacık D-100 Kuzey Yanyol Caddesi No: 47/A-B Kartal ISTANBUL
  • Kadıköy Tax Office: Osmanağa, Halitağa Caddesi No:19, Kadıköy ISTANBUL

Note: The application fee is subject to change annually.

Make sure to have more than 565₺ cash with you when you go to pay. The personnel might not be able to speak English. Therefore, you can bring this message to anyone, and they will help you:

“Merhaba! Ben SABANCI Universitesinden geliyorum. Yabanci Uyrukluyum. İkamet kart ücreti ödemeye geldim. Yardiminiz icin tesekkurler.” (Hello! I study at SABANCI University and am a foreigner. I came here to pay my residence card fee. Thank you for your help in advance.)

If you pay your residence card fee via bank or tax office, please make sure you have a stamp on the receipt. If not, please ask for a stamp (in TR.: Makbuza mühür basar mısınız?)

Never throw away the original payment document as you have to deliver it to the Immigration Office along with other documents, keep the original document. Otherwise, you will have to pay again.


After completing your online application form, you must go to Pendik Immigration Office or any Immigration Office closest to your location to check your fingerprints and get the criminal record number starting with GI on your application form. You can complete this step by going to the fingerprint section without an appointment with your original passport, student ID card and online application form. You must also have your current residence permit card with you, if you have one.

Note: Even if you have previously provided fingerprints, you need to go to the immigration office to get the GI number. Applications submitted without a GI number will be rejected.

If you have a language problem at the immigration administration, simply show the following Turkish text to the authorities:

“Merhaba. Sabancı Üniversitesi öğrencisiyim. Öğrenci ikameti başvurusu yaptım. Parmak izimi vermek istiyorum.”

(Hello. I am a Sabancı University student. I applied for a student residence permit. I want to give my fingerprint.)

Pendik Immigration Office: Doğu, Nevbahar Sk No:2, 34890 Pendik/İstanbul

Working hours: 9 am to 5 pm between Monday to Friday


After applying online and checking your fingerprints, you are expected to bring your documents to the IRO by the given date. Your file must contain the necessary documents for your application.

📢❗🚨 Before submitting your file to us, you must obtain approval from the IRO because we cannot accept your file if there are missing documents. To ensure that your file contains no missing documents, you need to send all your scanned documents to After we confirm that your documents are complete, you can make an appointment to bring the documents to the office.

To get an appointment from us:

After you submit your documents to IRO, we will deliver your file to the Istanbul Provincial Immigration Administration. The evaluation result will be delivered to the student within 30-90 days via email/SMS and Immigration Office website

The authority to evaluate and announce results lies with the Directorate General of Migration Management. The IRO does not receive application results. Therefore, we recommend regularly checking the website for updates.

It may take up to 90 days for your application to be approved and for your cards to be prepared. Your cards will be sent to the addresses listed on the address document you provided in your application. Tracking the cards is the student's personal responsibility.

Some of our students may have residence permits other than student residence permits before enrolling in the university, due to various reasons. It is possible to transition from residence permits such as family residence permits or short-term residence permits to student residence permits. To do this, you can apply for the transition on the relevant website 60 days before your current residence permit expires and gather the necessary documents to obtain a student residence permit.

Application link:

As is known, after your graduation, you must leave Turkey within 10 days after the expiration date of your student residence permit card. However, some of our students wish to stay in Turkey for reasons such as finding a job or continuing their education. To enable these students to stay in Turkey legally without needing to leave the country, all our full-time students who meet the condition of having graduated within the last 6 months from the university can apply for a short-term residence permit transition from a student residence permit. In this way, you can get a short-term residence permit for about up to 1 year. We briefly mention the general information on the issue here. However, you can call 157 for the details and the best answers.

Note: We have been informed that if students' current residence permits extend beyond their graduation date, these permits will remain active. However, we do not know how long they will remain active, and it is generally understood that residence permits may be canceled within 90 days after graduation. Therefore, we recommend that you apply for a short-term residence permit 5 days before your graduation date, which you can find out from student resources. You can check the status of your permit by calling 157.

To apply for this type of permit, if your current card has not expired, you can apply for a transfer on the official website a couple of days before your official graduation date. However, if your card has expired and the period you have stayed in the country does not exceed 10 days, you may need to make a first application for a short-term residence permit and select 'graduation' as the reason. The important thing here is to apply within 6 months after graduation. Additionally, if you apply after your residence permit card has expired and this exceeds 10 days, the Directorate General of Migration Management may negatively evaluate your application or require you to leave and re-enter Turkey. Therefore, the expiration date of your current card and your graduation dates are very important in your application. This is why we recommend applying for this type of permit before your current card expires.

Application link for the transfer application to a short-term residence permit:

This situation DOES NOT apply to the students who cancel their registration, the students who freeze their registration, the students who have a hold, or the students who have dismissal from the university.

After completing the online application form, the graduate student must go to their appointment with the following documents (Additional documents may be requested from you if deemed necessary.):

  • Online application form
  • Photocopy of passport ID and entry stamp pages to Turkey
  • Original passport
  • Copy of old residence permit card
  • 4 biometric photographs. (It is recommended that the photo size be 4 x 6 and have a white background. They may not accept biometric photos in smaller sizes.)
  • Photocopy of temporary graduation certificate or diploma. This document should be obtained from the Student Resources.
  • Residence Certificate (Yerleşim Yeri Belgesi). If your address is not registered in the e-devlet address system, you can register your address by going to the Immigration Office with your valid residence permit card before it expires.
  • Health insurance (Private, full 1 year, obtained from Turkey)
  • Residence permit fee and card fee. The residence permit fee and card fee are also written on the application document that is printed out as a result of the online application. After paying it to the tax office, the student has to add the receipt to the application file as well.
  • UETS Code Copy

You can complete these documents and submit them to the Immigration Office on your appointment day.

  • You can learn your graduation date only from the Student Resources.

If you are no longer a Sabancı University student, as the IRO and the University, we are not responsible for the residence permit applications after your graduation.

If you are going to continue your education at Sabancı or another university after graduation:       

Students who will graduate from our university from a program and continue their education with another program from our university, must make a first-time application and apply for a student residence permit and prepare extension documents within 20 days after their graduation. They must attach the student certificate of the department that they are newly registered with and use their graduation certificate taken from e-devlet. Even if your card has months until its expiry, this step is required for the ones who upgrade their education level (from undergrad to grad). 

If you will continue your education out of Sabancı, the steps are the same but you must get your own university's help in this regard. 

How can I travel abroad while my student residence permit application is still in progress?

If your student residence permit application has not yet been evaluated or is in the evaluation stage, we do not recommend traveling outside of Turkey. This is because if the applicant is not within the country's borders, the application may be canceled. Additionally, for those renewing their old residence permits, if the validity of your residence permit expires while your new card application is being processed and you wish to travel abroad, you may face fines and entry bans. If your application is positively evaluated and your card is in the printing stage, you can leave Turkey for 15 days with Müracaat Belgesi, which will be uploaded to the Directorate General of Migration Management website.

You can download the related document only if your application is concluded positively from this page:

How long will it take to receive my student residence permit card?

According to the decisions and rules of the Directorate General of Migration Management, there is a processing time of 30-90 days after your application is received for evaluation.

How can I check the status/result of my student residence permit application?

You can check regularly from the website here:

You can call 157 call center number for the details.

What should I do if I have lost my student residence card?

1.       Get a lost/stolen report from Çağlayan Adliyesi Savcılık Müracaat unit. Since they have translators, they can issue this report easily.

2.       Pay for the residence permit card fee since you have to ask for a new card. You must make the payment at the nearest tax office physically in cash. Ask for stamp on the receipt and keep the payment receipt with you.

3.       Go to Kumkapı Immigration Office with the report and payment receipt. Ask for a Müracaat Belgesi. They need to give you this temporary document that will replace your permit until the new card will be sent to your address.

What should I do after my student residence card expires?

If your education is ongoing, you need to apply for an extension 60 days before your card expires. If you are an Erasmus student, your card becomes invalid upon the completion of your education at the university. If there is no reason requiring you to stay in Turkey (education, graduation, internship etc.), you must leave Turkey within 10 days after your residence card expires, otherwise you will be considered illegal.

According to the law, individuals who have obtained a residence permit card must register their address within 20 days of receiving their card. Additionally, if your current address changes, you must register your new address as well. Erasmus and Exchange Program students can skip this step if they will not extend their permits in Turkey.

You must book an appointment through Immigration Office Appointment System to register your address. It is mandatory to go to the immigration office on the appointment day for address registration.

Below you will find the required documents for the process. After reviewing and collecting the required documents according to where you stay, you can book your appointment and register your address at the Immigration Office in person.

 🏡 Required documents:

  • If you stay at the dormitories:
  1. Residence Permit Card (valid)
  2. Residence Permit Card copy
  3. Dorm Certificate with QR code (Turkish)
  4. Passport 
  5. Passport ID page copy
  6. Student Certificate
  • If you stay with a rental agreement out of the campus:
  1. Residence Permit Card (valid)
  2. Residence Permit Card copy
  3. Notarized Rental Agreement's Copy (Check How to Obtain Official Documents)
  4. A Utility Bill - Water or Electricity Bill with your name
  5. Passport 
  6. Passport ID page copy
  7. Student Certificate
  • If you stay with a friend, family member (a Guarantor) etc. out of the campus:
  1. Residence Permit Card (valid)
  2. Residence Permit Card copy
  3. Copy of Your Letter of Commitment from your Guarantor, "Taahhütname in Turkish" (Check How to Obtain Official Documents)
  4. Passport 
  5. Passport ID page copy
  6. Student Certificate
  • If the Guarantor is Turkish, they must provide:
  1. Address Registration Certificate from e-Devlet – Yerleşim Yeri Belgesi
  2. A Bill in the Person’s Name (Electricity, Water, or Gas) – Kişinin Adına Düzenlenmiş Bir Hizmet Faturası (Elektrik, Su veya Doğalgaz)
  3. An Identity Certificate with Residence Information from e-Devlet – Vukuatlı Nüfus Kayıt Örneği
  • If the Guarantor is International, they must provide:
  1. A Valid Residence or Work Permit Card Photocopy – Aktif İkamet İzin Kartı Fotojopisi
  2. Address Registration Certificate from e-Devlet – Yerleşim Yeri Belgesi
  3. A Bill in the Person’s Name (Electricity, Water, or Gas) – Kişinin Adına Düzenlenmiş Bir Hizmet Faturası (Elektrik, Su veya Doğalgaz)

Below, you will find important information regarding address registration. Please read it carefully.

  • You can only register your address if you are over 18 years old.
  • You can only register your address if your residence permit card is active and if you are in İstanbul.
  • Address registration is currently only done in person, physically.
  • The necessary documents for the address registration process are listed on our website. You can check the sections called “Address Registration” and “How to Obtain Official Documents” for the detailed information.
  • Students residing in our university dormitories or living in Tuzla, Pendik, Kartal, Maltepe, Şile, Adalar, and Kadıköy must register their addresses at the Pendik District Immigration Office. If you live at an address other than these, you may need to register at the Immigration Office nearest to your address. Please refer to the attached image below to select the appropriate Immigration Office for your address registration.
  • After registering your address, you can obtain a residence certificate (Yerleşim Yeri Belgesi) from the e-Government (e-Devlet) system. This document is barcode-protected and is required for residence permit extension applications. As long as your address information does not change, you can use this document for residence permit applications, obtaining a driver's license, and wherever else it is requested. If your address changes, you can continue to use this document by re-registering your new address. Here is the link to access your residence certificate after registering your address in the e-Government system:

Note: Do not forget that according to where you stay, they may ask for additional documents.

Immigration Office Addresses: 

adres tescil işlemi

The PTT UETS (National Electronic Commerce Branch) code is a tracking and tracing code used in postal and courier services in Turkey. It is a unique identifier that enables tracking of any mail or package sent through the postal service. Senders can provide this code to recipients or share it in shipment information to allow tracking of the shipment. By entering this code into the PTT's tracking system, information about the whereabouts and delivery status of the shipment can be obtained.

As of April 2024, a copy of this document must be attached to the residence permit application forms. To obtain this document:


You must go to PTT Samandıra Müdürlüğü with your current residence permit card. Also, you must have your own Turkish cell phone number.


First, download the e-Devlet app on your phone and log in. Then, go to the "Profilim" section at the bottom and confirm your mobile phone number, residence permit card, and email address. Instructions on how to confirm the information are explained in the link below: 

After confirming your information, click on "İki Aşamalı Giriş Aktif" in the "Profilim" section and perform the relevant steps. Then, log out from e-Devlet and log in again. Next, go to the following address:

Log in using the e-Devlet option. There is a form that we should fill out. After confirming the information, print the form and submit its copy to IRO.

E-devlet is a website offering access to all public services from a single point. You can register your IMEI Number, download your criminal record or student certificate or address document. There are many features of e-devlet and you can mainly use it to download your official documents.

If you are an internet banking customer of a Turkish bank, you do not need to obtain an e-devlet password. You can enter the platform with your internet banking credentials. Once you enter the e-devlet website, you will see an internet banking option to enter the platform. Select that option, choose your bank and proceed. Otherwise, you do need an e-devlet password. To get your password, you have to visit a nearest PTT branch (post office) with your active Turkish cell phone, passport and residence permit card.

With e-devlet, you can do:

Download your criminal record (you will need it for the dorms)

Download your student certificate/student transcript

Download your address document with barcode (you will need it for your residence permit card extension)

Register your IMEI device number

Download your müstehaklık document (in case you start an internship, you may be asked to submit it

🔗 ╰┈➤ is the official page for e-devlet!

Directions to SU Campus

Address: Sabancı Üniversitesi Orta Mahalle, Üniversite Caddesi No: 2734956 Tuzla-İstanbul TurkeyTel: (+90 216) 483 9100

Here is the campus map:

Sabancı University has shuttle service which you can find the details here(stations, working days/hours, etc.) You can benefit fromshuttle services with fee.

We highly recommend you to exchange your money while you are at the airport or beforehand and have Turkish Liras in cash since you will need it while using any kind of transportation services.

From İstanbul Airport to Campus
Option 1.Public Bus Services:

First step: Take İST-7 Bus from istanbul Airport – get off at Kadıköy (last station) Station Second and last step: Take Sabancı University Shuttle from Kadıköy (map)

For holidays: there is no shuttle from Kadıköy to Campus, instead you may take M4 metroline from Kadıköy to reach Kurtköy where there is a shuttle to Campus  or it is better to select Option 2.

Option 2.Private Bus Services – Havaist

First step: Take Havaist from İstanbul Airport – get off at Sabiha Gökçen H.L. Station Second and last step: Take Taxi (It takes approx. 20 mins.)


First step: Take Havaist from İstanbul Airport – get off at Kadıköy (last station) Station Second and last step: Take Sabancı University Shuttle from Kadıköy (map)

You can find details regarding Havaist here.

By Private Car / Taxi (It takes approx. 75 mins.)

From Sabiha Gökçen Airport
by Private Car / Taxi (It takes approx. 20 mins.)

By Private Car / Taxi (It takes approx. 20 mins.)

Because Sabancı University is very close to the airport and there is no direct or useful indirect public transportation, we kindlyrecommend you to take a taxi.

From City Center to the Campus
Option 1
Take Kadıköy Shuttle to the Campus 
Option 2
Take Kadıköy Metroline (M4) to the direction of Kurtköy, take of Kurtköy station and get in Kurtköy shuttle.

If you have brought your own mobile phone to Turkey, you must register it within 120 days after your last entry date to Turkey. If you do not, your phone will be blocked after 120 days.

You will need to submit your residence permit card during the phone registration. If you register without a residence permit card, your phone will be blocked after 6 months.

In order to register your phone to the system, first you need to pay the mobile phone registration fee (currently 31000 TL). You can pay your fee via online banking/tax office page, by going to the nearest tax office, or to any bank branch.

Whether you pay your fee online or in person, you will be asked to provide the IMEI number of your mobile phone. After making the payment, please take the receipt and keep with you.

If you do not know the device’s IMEI number, you can learn it by dialing these digits:

*#06# After you learn your IMEI number, please write it down to a paper.

Paying the registration fee does not mean registering the phone. You must register your phone through the e-devlet portal.

Note: As the cost of registering your phone is almost equal to a new phone cost, we suggest buying a new phone instead of going through all these bureaucratic processes.

For low-cost public transportation in Turkey, you can apply for a Student Istanbul Card.

💳 To apply online, click here: 

🚨 Applications are only accepted online so you can use this link in order to apply.

You will be asked for a student certificate. Thus, please keep in mind that your student certificate must be active.

As part of registration requirement, all international undergraduate students have to submit their High School Diploma Equivalency Certificate (Denklik Belgesi) together with other registration documents. The Equivalency Certificate verifies that your high school diploma / certificate is equivalent to those obtained in Turkey. If you have a Turkish high school diploma, you are not required to submit this document.

The High School Diploma Equivalency can be obtained before arrival in some countries where there is an Education Attaché at the Consulate / Embassy of the Republic of Turkey. However, since not every Turkish consulate issues the Equivalency Certificate, it is important to check with the consulate in the specific country. If the Education Attaché at the Consulate provides this service, you should make sure that you obtain your equivalence certificate before arriving in Turkey and submit it during registration.

Students can also obtain the Equivalency Certificate from the Provincial Director of National Education in Istanbul by applying with their high school diploma / transcripts and graduation exam results (with requirements varying from country to country). The application process in Istanbul would take longer time and might be harder due to the high number of students applying in Istanbul.

Please be aware that:

Your university registration will not be completed until you submit the equivalency certificate to the University.

Students, who receive an equivalency certificate rejection, are not allowed to legally register to any university in Turkey, and if registered, their registration will be cancelled.

Although it is one of the registration documents, the university management will give you some time to finalize your process, but this won’t last long, thus, take it seriously and finalize it immediately!

Rules and regulations regarding the equivalency certificate are managed by the Turkish Ministry of Education and are subject to change frequently. Although there are some certain documents asked, the officers may ask for some extra documents and verification once they evaluate your documents.

Applying for the equivalency certificate is solely the student’s responsibility. Yet, as International Relations Office, we would do our best to guide and support you, please do not hesitate to come by and ask for help before it is too late!!



It is better and easier for you to apply while you are in your country. Please click here to see the list of the educational attachés in your country. If there is an educational attaché where you live, we recommend that you contact the attaché in your country by phone or mail prior to your application. You may need to take an appointment and get information in advance. You can find the required document list in this guideline. After receiving the equivalency certificate, you have to submit all the original documents as soon as possible to the Student Resources to complete your registration.

            Note: The documents to be requested for applications made outside of Turkey are determined by the embassy/consulate/education attaché. You have to contact them for this. The list of required documents regarding equivalence specified in this guide is valid for applications in Turkey. However, before you go to the embassy/consulate/attaché, you can get an idea about your application for the equivalence certificate by looking at the list of documents there.


If there is not an Educational Attaché in your home country or they do not provide any services about it, you should apply for the certificate as soon as you arrive in Turkey. You must make an online application, upload your documents and make an appointment from the Ministry of Education Office.

Here are the steps to obtain the equivalency certificate by online application:

You should provide with your foreign ID number which is obtained by a valid residence permit card. If you applied for a residence permit and if it is approved but your card is at the printing stage, you can also use your MÜRACAAT BELGESİ (Application Document) which has also your Foreign ID number. à Ministry of Education used to accept applications with student registration document or student visa until this year, yet, they changed the implementation this year and started to ask for Foreign ID number (in other words, Residence Permit Number or Yabancı Kimlik No in Turkish).

If you have Turkish citizenship ID /Blue Card, please go head and apply with your ID, you do not need to apply for residence permit anyway.

Please click here to make an online application.

The online application website is

Enter your personal information. Make sure you enter a valid Turkish mobile number, as the appointment details will be sent to your phone via SMS.

After entering personal information, please upload the required documents stated in the next pages.

Select the Equivalency Center: If you are in Istanbul, (suggested district) select “BÜYÜKŞEHİR” center àThe Ministry of Education Office (İl Milli Eğitim Müdürlüğü) is located in: Binbirdirek M.İmran Öktem C.No1 Eski Adliye Binası Sultanahmet/Fatih/İSTANBUL Click here to see it on map)

Once you select an appointment date, the system will generate a Registration Number. Take a screenshot of the page and write down the registration number. Print it out if possible.

If you already have a residence permit (short term, student type, family permit, house ownership-based residence permits etc.) and other required documents, do not wait for your university registration and start your equivalency application now.

After completing your online application, please prepare all the original documents, and go in person to the equivalency center on your appointment date.

The staff at the equivalence center will return all your original documents to you after verifying the authenticity of your documents.

After your documents are verified, you will be able to check your application by entering the Registration Number on the online application system and then will be able to download your “Equivalency certificate” .pdf file to your computer.

After downloading your result .pdf file, please send it to and immediately.


Application form. Download here. Fill out the application form.

Residence Permit Card and its copy OR Müracaat Belgesi Document (It has to show your residence permit ID number) OR your Turkish ID Card and its copy OR your Blue Card and its copy

Passport ID page copy – Please copy your student visa page too if you have come to Turkey with a student visa.

Passport page copies with your entry and exit stamps

Diploma or document that states that the applicants are entitled to receive a diploma (diploma/school leaving certificate/testimonial) - With apostille, in the absence of apostille, approved by the ministry of education, the ministry of foreign affairs, or the embassy. (These documents must be completely uploaded in a way that approval / seal will appear clear. Otherwise, the equivalence procedures will be cancelled during the application.)

Transcripts (must cover ALL high school years and must be stamped by Ministry of Education or Foreign Affairs or by the embassy.

Note 1: For Apostille Convention Signatory countries (see list here): your high school diploma and transcripts must be apostilled (mandatory according to Turkish Ministry of Education regulations). For countries who are not Apostille Convention Signatories: your high school diploma and transcripts must be approved/stamped by the Ministry of Education or Ministry of Foreign affairs or the embassy.

Note 2: The notarized translation of the diploma and the transcripts is required only when the documents are not in one of the following languages:

• Arabic

• English

• German

• French

Note 3: Students who have completed the A- and O-level track for the GCE (British Education System) must fulfil one of the following academic requirements:

• Two A-Levels, One AS-Level and Two O-levels

• Three A-Levels and One O-Level

• Two A-Levels and Three O-Levels

Note 4: Although the above mentioned gradings have been evaluated for obtaining equivalence certificates so far, we will have a few suggestions for you due to the situations we have encountered before. All these suggestions are from our past experience. Since the legislation regarding equivalence may change, we must specify these for your convenience:

• Make sure all documents in your possession have the necessary approvals. (Ministry of National Education, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consulate, Notary Certified Translation etc.)

• Please note that students who are studying in an international school within their country (any school that teaches a different curriculum rather than the national one) may be required to get a local equivalency paper. You can get this document from the Ministry of Education in the country your high school is located in. The document has to state that you are an official graduate and that your education in the school you attended gives you the same rights as a graduate from a local curriculum. Please also note that the equivalency centers can require specific sentences added to these letters in some cases, and this information is subject to change as a result, but our past experiences show that this type of information is usually sufficient.

• For Pakistani Students - If you have an IB diploma, you will have to get it legalized. Your school can help you with this, within 6 months of your grades coming out. Once you have the legalized scores, you can get them approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and apply for equivalency in Turkey.

• For Pakistani Students - If you are coming to university with 3 A Levels, get the IBCC equivalency. If you have 2 A levels, make sure you get the documents stamped from the Ministry of National Education, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or the Consulate. To do this, you will need to get your documents approved first by the British Council in Pakistan. You can contact them for more information about the process. If you are coming to university with 2 A Levels, make sure the documents come certified and stamped from Cambridge, British Council, Pearson, etc.

Additional documents can be asked from you:

• Identity card/passport of the mother/father for those under the age of 18,

• Original and approved translation (if necessary) of the parental consent letter, university pre-registration document/student certificate for applicants who are under the age of 18 and will register in the university,

• Original and approved translation of the custody document, proving that the letter was written by the parent who has custody for the student for those whose parents got divorced.

• If there is a change in the surname in the education certificate and identity card/passport due to reasons such as marriage or divorce, the marriage certificate and/or identity register copy must be uploaded to the system.

It is highly recommended to get the parental consent and birth certificate copies with their notarized translation and keep at least 3 copies of each of them for several purposes (equivalency, residence permit, university registrations etc.)

Family Permit or Short-Term Residence Permit

If you are a Sabancı University student or employee, you can apply for a short-term residence permit or family residence permit for family members in Turkey. There is no difference between these two residences permits types; only the number of documents required for family residence is more and accordingly the process is longer. 

All rules regarding residence permit are determined by the Directorate General of Migration Management. The information on this page is based on the experience of our International Relations Office staff. For detailed information, you can call the Migration Management Information Line 157 from your mobile phone. 

Important Notes:

It is entirely your responsibility to go to your appointment on time, to deliver the documents and to follow up your application during the residence application period. 

Each dependent must collect the documents listed below and submit them to the migration office on their appointment days. 

If you are applying for your parents, spouse or children, we recommend that you accompany them to your appointment. You or anyone else cannot go on behalf of the family member you are applying for. 

After the Immigration Administration evaluates the documents you have submitted, they may request extra documents from you, in which case they will give you extra time to complete the missing documents. 

An application can only be made after entering Turkey. It is not possible to make it outside the country. 

The applicant should not leave Turkey until the application is concluded. Otherwise, the application will be rejected. 

All applications must be made before the expiry date of the visa or permission to stay without a visa. Dependents’ passports must be valid 60 days further than the applied end date of the residency (i.e. if the benefactor has a work permit until March 1st, a dependent can only apply for a residence permit which ends at this date. Therefore, his/ her passport must be valid until April 30th).

Required Documents:

Online Application Form (For each family member applying). If you are applying for residence for the first time for a family member, click on this link. After completing the pre-registration form, choose the type of application and fill in the "family residence" or "short-term residence" form. If your family/short term residence is about to expire and you want to renew your residence permit, click on this link. Do not forget to take the printout after completing the application. 

Photocopy of the passport ID page and last entry stamp to Turkey, and visa pages (For both you (SU employee or student) and your applicant). No translation or approval is required for passport photocopies. It is sufficient to have the original passport with you when you go to the appointment. 

4 biometric pictures in ICAO standards taken within the last six months for the applicant and 2 biometric pictures of yourself (SU employee). 

Photocopy of your Work Permit Card (Both sides) 

Salary Letter from HR if you are the staff: Payroll certified by human resources showing your last three months' salary. 

Educational proof of the student, if you apply for your parents

Address Registration Certificate (for SU employee): Address Registration Certificate can only be obtained from the e-Devlet (e-Government) platform if you have already registered your address. If you are not registered in the address system, you should register by going to the Immigration Office which is located close to where your address is. You must provide the necessary address documents in order to register your address.

UETS Code Copy (for extension applications)

Valid health insurance covering all family members: Private health insurance is sufficient. You can get it from human resources. 

Apostilled Marriage Certificate (If you are applying for your spouse): These apostilled certificates must be translated to Turkish and notarized. If your country is not a party to the Apostille Convention, you have two options:

Before arriving in Turkey, you can contact a Turkish mission in your country. The Turkish mission can translate and approve your certificates. 

After arriving in Turkey, you should visit the consulate of your country and get your certificates stamped. Then you should visit the Tuzla District Governor to have your stamped documents approved.

Apostilled Birth Certificate (If you are applying for your children). 

Criminal Record from your country (for SU employee): It would be better for you if you apply for this document at least 3 months before your application against the possibility of long waiting times to obtain this document. they must be Apostilled and have notary public approved Turkish translation. If your country is not under Apostille Convention, said document must be approved by the relevant state's authorities (consulate approval and by Ministry of Foreign Affairs). If you are working in Turkey for last five years you can obtain your criminal record (adli sicil belgesi) from e-devlet. 

Receipt of residence permit fees: You can pay the fees at tax office. However, since the dependents may not have their foreign ID numbers yet, they must obtain tax ID numbers to be able to pay the card fee on their names. (If you are making a residence extension, you can use the existing foreigner's identity number when making the payment) There are two ways to acquire a tax number:

Online Application: Visit the official web page of Tax Office at Click on the Application for Non-Citizen’s Potential Tax Number button on the bottom of the page. The application form has English explanations, and it requires you to upload your passport ID scan. The system will give you a Tax ID number once you submit the form. Please enable cookies and pop-ups on your browser since your Tax ID number will be given to you as an official letter in a PDF format. If you cannot obtain an online tax number, you must visit the nearest tax office in person. 

In-person application: You need to visit a Tax office with your original passport and its copy. See below the addresses of the Tax offices:

Yakacık Tax Office: Hürriyet Mahallesi Yakacık D-100 Kuzey Yanyol Caddesi No: 47/A-B Kartal ISTANBUL 

Kadıköy Tax Office: Osmanağa, Halitağa Caddesi No:19, Kadıköy ISTANBUL

After completing the online application and completing the documents, the immigration office will inform you of your appointment date via SMS or email. On the appointment day, the applicant must be present in person with the documents. For detailed information, you can call the number 157 from your phone.


  • Recently, we have started receiving a large number of inquiries about how to apply for citizenship. This is a personal matter, and you should consult with a lawyer who specializes in this area.
  • As the IRO, we are only responsible for student residence permit processes. According to the protocol between the Council of Higher Education (YÖK) and the Directorate General of Migration Management, we are obligated to provide information regarding student residence permit processes. However, if you would like to obtain information about other types of residence permits or have questions about your active application, we recommend calling 157, as we are prohibited from taking any action on this matter.